Plan for Higher Education Highlights Access
“The Liberal team is firmly committed to the idea that promoting access to higher education is one of the best investments we can make as Islanders. I believe the Seven Point Plan we are proposing to Islanders will build on our successes - and help to make our Island a better educated and more prosperous province,” the Premier said.
The Premier said the Liberal plan for post-secondary education will reward achievement and promote access.
“Increasingly, young Islanders are investing their time and energy in pursuit of higher education. I believe we can support that commitment through imaginative new programs.”
The Seven Point Plan for Higher Education includes:
- The New George Coles University Graduate Bursary - Complementing current assistance, the new Bursary will reward academic success by providing a $2,000 bursary to Islanders who are completing a program of at least four years. And, a cost of living increase of $200 to the first year George Coles Bursary
- Interest-Free Provincial Student Loans - Beginning in 2012
- Retention of Island Graduates - by converting existing provincial student loans to interest free status by 2012
- Expanded programs and funding to assist rural students to access post-secondary education
- “Get the Degree” Initiative - Allow mature students to return to post-secondary programs while retaining Employment Insurance eligibility
- A New Pre-Apprenticeship Training and Employment Program for 17-22 year olds
- Starting in 2013, the Liberals are proposing to assist children and families receiving the National Child Benefit Supplement to access Registered Education Saving Plan funding through a provincial contribution
“As a team, we deliberately and carefully chose our post-secondary proposals to lead off the election,” Premier Ghiz said. “As Liberals, we are extremely proud of the direction we have taken in this area - because the work we have done has prepared the Island for a better future.
I believe the new proposals we have outlined today will keep us on that path.”
MEDIA CONTACT:Contact: Jamie MacPhail
Title: Leader’s Tour
Phone: (902) 394-6807